Treatment adherence in Malagasy patients with atopic dermatitis [Video on Demand] : LINK
Introduction Atopic Dermatitis (AD) is a chronic inflammatory skin disorder characterized by intense pruritic eczematous lesions. Poor adherence to treatment is a major factor limiting treatment outcomes in patients with AD.
Methods Our study aimed to assess the treatment adherence in malagasy patients with AD using the Morisky Medication Adherence Scale-8 (MMAS-8). It was a prospective study over a period of one year in chidren and adult patients with AD seen at the two Departments of Dermatology at the University Hospital Joseph Raseta Befelatanana, Antananarivo.
Results We studied 44 children and 21 adults. The mean age was respectively 4.29 ± 4.13 years and 35.28 ± 16.88 years. All of our patients receive topical treatment and none of them receive specific oral treatment such as biotherapy or immunosuppressant. Low adherence rate is seen in 61.90% of adult patients where mean MMAS-8 score was 2.56 ± 1.6. In children, mean MMAS-8 score was 5.9 ± 1.53 and poor adherence was seen in 43.73%. Adherence level was significantly associated with insurance healthcare/medication copayments, alcool and marital status (p<0.05).
Conclusion Low treatment adherence is preponderant in Malagasy patients with AD. We didn’t find significant correlation between adherence level and age, annual income, return apointments, severity of AD.
CV of Presenter
· Graduated from the Antananarivo Faculty of Medicine
· Specialized Training degree in Dermatology- Venereology from the Paris Medical University
· Member of the « SOMADER » (Société Malgache de Dermatologie), « ADF » (Association des dermatologistes francophones)
Author of more than 10 scientific articles, Co-author in numerous scientific papers
Presentation and description by Dr Naina Harinjara RAZANAKOTO MD (Madagascar) [French; World Skin Health Day 2022 -Madagascar] (To find the presentation simply use the filter buttons from the event homescreen)
- Cliquer sur l’image du congrès (WSHD) qui apparaît sur la page d’accueil ou sur l’icône “Webinars”.
- Compléter le formulaire d’informations (gratuit, seuls les champs marqués d’un * sont nécessaires).
- Se Loguer et cliquer sur “subscribe” au “World Skin Health Day WSHD 2022.”
- Vous pouvez ensuite visualiser le programme, la liste d’orateurs ainsi que les présentations* en cliquant sur “view”.
- Click on the congress image from the homescreen or on the “Webinars” icon.
- Enter registration information. (free of charge, only the ones with * are required)
- Login and then click to subscribe to “World Skin Health