Virtual dermatology in the Waikato Region of New Zealand [Video on Demand]: LINK
My online presentation for the SOMADER meeting will tell you about my recent experiences of virtual dermatology. My institution has 5 dermatologists covering a region with an urban and rural population of about 500,000. We receive an average of 650 referrals per month but can only offer clinic appointments to a fraction of these. The other referrals are managed by teledermatology, with ’non-contact’ assessments and recommendations for treatment. During the pandemic, we have increased telephone consultations for follow-ups, which have been very successful mainly because we have photographs of the skin problem and electronic access to clinical notes, prescription records and laboratory and imaging results. We also undertake video consultations with selected patients using Microsoft Teams or Zoom.
Cautionary tales include the impact of a ransomware attack on Waikato District Health Board’s computer systems and misinformation through social media among our patients regarding COVID-19 and the safety of vaccination. Although currently experiencing community cases of COVID, New Zealand has been spared many of the horrors of the pandemic experienced in many other countries due to restricted travel and strict quarantine at its borders from March 2020 to March 2022. This has given time for the health service to prepare for the impact of Omicron and to vaccinate the population against it.
CV of Presenter
I am full-time Dermatologist for the Waikato District Health Board and an Adjunct Associate Professor of the Department of Medicine, University of Auckland. I have more than 100 peer reviewed research-based articles and case reports. I am the Founder of DermNet New Zealand website and its Editor in Chief for 25 years, for which I have received many awards. I have a longstanding interest in teledermatology and am the current President of the International Society of Teledermatology.
Presentation and description by Professor Amanda OAKLEY MD (New Zealand) [World Skin Health Day 2022 -Madagascar] (To find the presentation simply use the filter buttons from the event homescreen)
- Click on the congress image from the homescreen or on the “Webinars” icon.
- Enter registration information. (free of charge, only the ones with * are required)
- Login and then click to subscribe to “World Skin Health Day WSHD 2022.”
- Then you can view the programme, full profile and presentations* of the speakers by clicking on “view”.
- Cliquer sur l’image du congrès (WSHD) qui apparaît sur la page d’accueil ou sur l’icône “Webinars”.
- Compléter le formulaire d’informations (gratuit, seuls les champs marqués d’un * sont nécessaires).
- Se Loguer et cliquer sur “subscribe” au “World Skin Health Day WSHD 2022.”
- Vous pouvez ensuite visualiser le programme, la liste d’orateurs ainsi que les présentations* en cliquant sur “view”.